Saturday, February 7, 2009

IN REMEMBRANCE OF...

Shirley J. Croft
04/13/1936 ~ 02/03/2009
On the early morning of February 3rd I received several phone calls from friends and co-workers reguarding the passing of my beloved and darling friend. Shirley and I became extremely close with one another when I was working. We became the best of friends and I found myself going to visit her quite often, even when I was not scheduled to be at work. People say that best friends bring out the best in us and I can assure you this is true. From the moment that we met she had given me her respect, I didn't have to earn it like with most people. She made me want to be a better person and I was able to talk with her about anything! She always had the best advice and no matter how long it had been since I had seen her she remembered every detail and was constantly happy to see me. Such a remarkable women inside and out.


It has been very hard on me and I am not even sure that it has fully hit me that she is gone. I still expect to go into work and hear her coming down the hall or be able to smell her sweet perfume as she passes me along the way. I have never grown so close to someone in such a short amount of time, although I have known her for several years now we had a special connection from the moment we met. Shirley was and still is a huge example in my life, I want to be able to accomplish the incredible things that she has done in her life; cooking, sewing, being a great mother and adoring grandmother. Trying to find the words to express my love does not come easy, I wrote this poem and hope that it will give you some idea of the truely valued person that she was. You're always in my heart Shirley! You are free from pain and can finally cook, drive and breathe! :)

I would like to thank Shirley's daughter, Cindy and her family for all the love and kindness that they have continually shown me. They were always there for her to assist with anything and everything that she may have needed. Not to mention constantly coming around to visit. They are such genuine and kind people and I am so lucky to have known them. Cindy said that Shirley brought us together and I know that Shirley and her family have been placed in my life for a reason.

* S H I R L E Y *

She spent her time here being so kind
To everyone that she did meet
Unless they popped the attitude
And it was them she'd beat
She loved to play the Bingo game
But when you asked her she would lie
Even though you may not believe
She'd win some everytime
She did not love the food
And we cannot blame her there
Although it could be great at times
Everyone should still beware
It didn't matter where you'd go
Or where you may have been
You knew if she was near
You see she had this special scent
Saying hi and giving a warm smile
To everyone that she would see
I'm going to miss her dearly
I know that you all agree
Even when she couldn't breathe
And the pain was near a ten
It didn't matter with her you see
She wanted to know how you'd been
Lastly when it was that time of night
We would hug her and say goodbye
I'll see you in the morning
And down the hall she'd fly
There is so much more I want to mention
It will never be enough
She had a life full of good intention
In Heaven now and smiling down on us
Stefanie Ann Maycock

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice poem, I still can't believe she is gone. It will be strange to go to work and not see her. I am glad that you had such a special relationship. You are a wonderful person. I love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Stef! I haven't been able to find your blog, I couldn't remember the address thanks for getting it to me. I know how close you are to the people where you work and I am sad to hear of Shirley, I know she was your best bud. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. She lives on

ellen said...

Stefanie, I enjoyed your beautiful tribute to your dear deceased friend, Shirley. I'm sure you meant us much to her as she did to you.

I'm so happy we have reconnected after so many years!
ellen van orman

Kjersti said...

Stefanie,
You are such an amazing person, and I'm so glad that you can say it is because of people like Shirely. Your words and poem made me tear up. You're so strong, and such an example to me. I love you Stef!
Love Kjersti

Anonymous said...

Once again I am going to tell you what a talent you have. I am glad you decided to put the poem on here and share it with others.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stef -
I have no idea what it must be like, working at the place you work. As I have said before, it truly takes a special person to do what you do - and with a genuine love at that! It is very inspiring to me to witness the love you have for Shirley. The greatest joy I have in life (this is it!) is witnessing and being a part of successful, positive human relationships. While reading your blog, I am filled with this special feeling that only comes when people really care about each other - and you guys obviously cared a ton for each other! Anyway, you are incredible Stefanie! I am so grateful to have you in my life.

Shelly said...

I loved this entry. It was so touching. When I worked at an Old Folk's home over the summer I got really close to one of the residents as well. She was actually able to move back into her home. Thanks for the entry I think that the older generation doesn't get appreciated enough for the wonderful and wise people they are. It is sad that they are all leaving us but I am glad we can be with them again.

Lopsy said...

Stephanie, that was a beautiful poem and even though I never met Shirley I feel like I know her through your precious words. She is not suffering anymore and is with you always in spirit. You brought her great strength and now she gets to help you. She will "Shirley" be your guardian angel! Love you Steph! You are an amazing woman and a great example to me and many others.

Am-Biance said...

Oh Steph~ Thank you for all of those beautiful things you said about my Granny. I am truely grateful for the blessing you were in her life. She was such an amazing lady, I hope to be as she was oneday..You are a wonderful person and I am so happy that I have met you...I am sure Shirley is smiling down on you now...
Your entry is very touching..I thought I was doing good not crying in a couple of days, but your sweet poem put me over the edge..tears of joy..so happy I found your blog..

Shelly said...

I tagged you.

Sharlene and Matt said...

oh stef you are so amazing! they are so blessed to have friends and workers like you before they go. that would be so hard! i dont know how you do it. if you need ANYTHInG call me.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you and Shirley were able to grow so close to each other. She sounds like an amazing person. I'm sure she'll be your special guardian angel on the other side.

Elisa & Josh said...

Stef,
What a neat and rewarding job. I'm sorry about your friend. I'm sure you made just as much of a difference in her life as she did in yours. You are amazing girl! And yes I agree we for sure need to get together. I miss you too! Let's do it soon!!! Take care dear and enjoy Celine Dion soon...how fun! My mother and sister-in-law are going and they're way excited.