Friday, January 15, 2010

Something Old Something New

OLD
So for those of you who don't know I left my job in Salt Lake at Legacy House to come to Cedar City again. Shortly after moving down I got a job and had been working at Diamond Ranch Academy- for troubled kids. I really liked my job but I hated traveling to Hurricane every time I had to work and I also was getting nervous about the drive in all the bad weather. My lovely sister Jenny had been looking for jobs postings in Cedar and e-mailing them to me. I had really wanted to try to get on at the hospital. Well sure enough there was a need and I applied and got the job! I was amazed because I know there was a lot of people who applied for it and I felt so grateful that I was chosen.
For the last 4 years or so I have been working at an Assisted Living with the elderly. I dearly loved my job, loved is an understatement. My job was my life and the people who I took care of were my family. After losing a resident whom I was very close to it was never the same, I still liked it but something was different and I was ready to try something new. It was so hard to leave there and say goodbye to everyone especially because I knew I would never see some of them again :(
People always tell me that they could never have a job like that, and that they don't understand how I can do all that I do. I wish that they could have a day in the life of me while working there and they would see that it is anything but work. You gain friendships and give service and are respected loyally and it is wonderful and I would recommend it to ANYONE!
I want to post some pics from the past just to let you see how fun my job was and how much I miss it.







(The above video is priceless, I worked in the Alzheimer's unit and they usually don't remember much but Ruthy always could whip out a song you would name and start playing it on the piano. She's remember anything musically- Here is one of her playing We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet)

















NEW
And for my new job at the Hospital it is a whole different world over here. So many new protocols and rules and different terminologies to use but I am getting the hang of it and I love it. I get to do so much more with the patients, take out staples, helped deliver a baby, take out drains and iv's etc etc some pretty cool and gory stuff! Something really different is that there are new patients everyday, I am not able to get use to the same people because once they get better they go home. I am currently working 3 days a week -12 hour shifts, it gets a bit tiring but I hope to get use to it soon! I am very lucky to have such a good job and it offers me great benefits which is a total plus! I learn new things every day and I love the knowledge that it brings me!

3 comments:

Mandi said...

HA! I love those pictures.

Mom said...

Stef, you sure had a dream job, and EVERYONE there LOVED you! You were amazing and I am so proud of you and the way you loved all the residents.
Congrats on the new job! I am sure you will make just as big of an imprint on the people you take care of there.
'Bout time you let everyone know what has been going on in your life!!
Love ya!

Jenny said...

Those pictures are so cute!!!