As some of you may heard a few weeks ago there was a terrible accident near Cedar City involving a tour bus with Japanese tourists on their way to Bryce Canyon. The bus driver had lost control and the bus rolled several times landing on its back with the tires faced up. 11 passengers were injured, 7 critical condition with 3 fatalities. Most of the passengers were flown in critical condition to hospitals in the Salt Lake area while the rest were taken to VVMC in Cedar City.
I remember the night before my brother in law getting the call and running off to a crash on the highway. When he returned I asked him about it and he told me it was bad and I knew that the hospital was going to be incredibly busy and insane the next day or so.
It was the talk of the town, what had happened and how sad of a situation it was. The ER had been slammed that night and all sorts of extra help was needed to get these people the best care possible. It was one of the biggest emergency situations I think this hospital has had and there was soo many traumatic things going on.
One of my patients for the next few days was a man involved in the crash who had 2 children and his wife along with him. His son was the young boy who was killed and his wife and daughter were up in Salt Lake at seperate hospitals in critical condition. I cannot say too much but what I want to say most is how much pain I knew this man was in and how awful of a situation he was experiencing, to be somewhere he was not familiar with and no one speaking his language while his son had died and the rest of his family was up North away from him. He was so worried about them, he sustained injuries himself and he pushed himself to the max to work through those in order to be cleared to go up North to be with his family. He was one of the nicest most sincere people I had ever met in my life. I learned a few lessons from him throughout that week- one of the most important being Foregiveness. He was not mad and did not blame anyone. He was positive the whole time I was with him and he made me want to be a better person. He handled the situation with such grace and dignity that I knew he would be able to move on from this because of his postive attitude.
Working at the hospital I have seen too many sad things, but I have learned that it is a part of life and that it is my job to make the best of it for the patients and their families. I have learned so much and feel that it has changed me in ways I could never explain. I wanted to share this video below because the incident above had reminded me so much of what had happened in Cedar. Many of you will probably remember this story and let me just say if you are going to watch it you may need to grab a tissue box.
**(Don't forget to pause my music at the bottom of the page so you can hear the video. I also apologize because for some reason the whole video is not fitting in the screen :( it is also on youtube if you want the fullscreen version)
My Burden Was Made Light!
What an amazing and spiritual video. I hope that you felt what I felt watching this and that you will want to share it with others. What a wonderful message.
I urge each of you to reach out and forgive someone today :)
If Chris(t) can do it, I think we can!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAKE!
15 years ago




2 comments:
So amazing.. that would be so hard to do!
I saw this video the other day and then a couple days after that there was a hallmark movie on and I think it was about this story. Similar anyway. Some people are so amazing to be able to forgive when such things happen. Very Christ-like. We all can learn from this.
You actually have a job where you can learn alot and touch peoples lives every day at work, how awesome. I miss being able to actually help others and feel like you are making a difference in someone's life. REally glad you updated the blog!! Surely you have lots more to blog about since you last blogged though! Let's see some more!! I like reading what is happening in other peoples lives and learning from their lessons, or celebrating in their joys!! How about blogging about your honeymoon trips and wedding, etc!!
Love ya!
Post a Comment